I’m going to share our family recipe for the best grilled steak. It’s so good that my kid eats it for dinner and then asks for more after dessert. If you have a picky eater, this is the grilled steak to make! I like to make sure that we buy our meat from a reputable butcher. I always buy the meat directly from the butcher vs getting it prepackaged from the case. I suggest that you ask the butcher questions about the cuts of meat. This is the best way to learn what you like. It’s also a great way to learn about cooking times. I find that most of the butchers love answering questions, and I am more likely to go back to someone who takes the time to educate me and has the patience to answer my questions.
Making the Marinade
It’s important to make sure that you mix all the ingredients for the grilled steak marinade really well. You want the liquid to emulsify before you put it on the steak. Sometimes I add a little extra salt and pepper to the meat before I add the marinade. It’s very difficult to over season meat like this if you are using salt and pepper in a conservative manner.
Grilling the Meat
Once you heat your grill to high, it’s crucial to grease the grates so the meat doesn’t stick. You can use regular kitchen spray but that tends to flame more. I recommend using Pam Grill Spray. Depending on how you like your meat dictates how long you grill it for. I am more a rare grilled steak person, so I grill our steaks about 4-5 minutes per side. I love this article from Food & Wine Magazine talking about how to tell when your meat is cooked and there is a great pro-tip about using a cake tester!
Plating the Steak
I’m a huge fan of an easy clean up, so I’ll generally put the grilled steak on a wood cutting board to rest and then cut it and serve it right on the same board. I love the way a wood board looks on a table or a buffet set up. I recommend using a board with a well so that it catches any residual juice from the meat. I’ve had this cutting board for over 10 years and it’s in perfect condition!
More Easy Recipes from Hallie Says
Best Grilled Steak
- 2 lb sirloin steak You can use flank or london broil too
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅛ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Whisk all the ingredients together until they emulsify
- Put the steak in a shallow dish or a ziplock and add the marinade
- Marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours turning occasionally
- Heat your grill to high
- Use grill spray to coat the grates. I usually use Pam
- Grill 4-5 minutes per side for rare to medium rare. Grill longer for a warmer temperature or a thicker cut of meat.
- Let the steak rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving. I usually tent it with foil.
- If you pierce it with a fork do the juices run clear?
- I use the touch method:
- Soft to the touch: rare
- Slightly firm to the touch: medium rare
- Firm to the touch: well done